What to Pack for 0-6 Month Old Baby's First Beach Trip
Updated: May 21, 2020
We just took our first vacation as a new family - myself, my husband, and our 3-month-old son (oh, and one of our three dogs). It was a road trip - a 5.5-hour drive to the beach. I started planning my packing list about a week in advance because I was super anxious that we wouldn't have what we needed to take care of our baby boy while away from home. If you ask my husband, he would say that I packed the entire house. I definitely did pack a lot of stuff for baby, but for the first time, I barely packed anything for myself! Funny how things change when you become a parent, hehe.
As I was making my packing list, I was searching the mommy blogs, Facebook Groups and discussion boards for recommendations on what to bring for a baby on a beach vacation (like, what I would really need and what I wouldn't), and it was honestly pretty hard to find good feedback on this. So, here's my experience on what I packed, what I actually used, what I didn't, and what I wish I had packed for our first vacation to the beach with baby. I've linked to the specific items I purchased or that we have (from Amazon, because I'm an Amazon junkie), in case that's helpful.
Absolute essentials for going basically anywhere:
- formula (unless you're EBF)
- swaddles / sleep suits
- burp rags
- onesies and other outfits
- car seat & stroller
- portable changing pad
What I packed and used every day on vacation:
- BabyBrezza Advanced Formula Pro
- bath chair & shampoo, soap, hair sponge, lotion and hair brush
- baby SPF swim outfit (although our LO was only out on the beach with us for a few days and a total of a few hours all week, under a massive tent... I was pretty nervous about him getting overheated and mostly kept him inside. I did have super cute baby sunglasses and a sunhat for him for extra sun protection, though!)
What I packed that I didn't use much on vacation (even though I use these at home all the time):
- too many clothes/outfits
- ErgoBaby carrier
- dishwasher cage
- most of our first aid stuff - i.e. NoseFrida, nail file, baby tylenol, gripe water, etc. (though I'm glad I had it all, just in case)
- mittens and socks
- video baby monitor
- black and white baby book
- a baby beach tent
- baby sunscreen (I know you're not supposed to use sunscreen on babies under 6 months old, but I wanted to have some just in case! I never did use it, but I'm glad I had it)
What I wish I had packed for our vacation:
- bottle brush (the dishwasher on vacation wasn't amazing, so I ended up trying to hand wash bottles but I couldn't reach into the bottoms easily to clean inside the bottles)
- knee pad for bath time (my knees were KILLING me during bath time, even using a folded up towel, especially after I got sunburn on them - ouch!!)
- more formula (I had to go to the store to get more a few days in)
- pack-n-play waterproof cover and sheets (I honestly don't even own any of these yet, that's next on my Amazon shopping list!)
Here's a picture from one of the few beach days we did (ignore my husband's awesome beach outfit - ha!):
He and I even squeezed in a little date night for ourselves, thanks to having family members with us that offered to watch babe for the evening!!
Follow me on Instagram to see more!
UPDATE AS OF MAY 2020:
I honestly feel like I "failed" at our first beach trip, only because I spent so little time out on the beach with babe. I was too anxious and too nervous about it all (overheating, sunburn, getting off schedule, etc.). Looking back now, I realize that I had some "baby blues" or maybe even a little postpartum depression going on in those first 6 months. That certainly didn't help. I'm so glad we ended up going back to the beach when he was a little older (last month, at 10 months old) and things were so much better!
You can see my updated post about that here: What to Pack for 6-12 Month Old Baby's First Beach Trip
PS - if you're interested to know where we stay in Destin, FL, we own 6 beachfront vacation rental properties where we always stay. We have become so spoiled staying beachfront! You can learn more and rent on our website: www.beachblissdestin.com
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.
#babysfirstbeachtrip #babybeachvacation #beachbaby #whattopackforbaby #momblog #mommyblog #mommyblogger #herlifeinpursuit #waterbaby #babybeachbum