A Christian Mom's Priorities: Setting Life Goals Around God's Priorities
Updated: May 19, 2022
We're coming towards the midpoint of the year 2022, and I just found a piece of paper with handwritten notes on it from much earlier this year. In January, I did the Risen Motherhood (I love their podcast and their book!) workbook called "Go(al) Deep" which is an interactive study on identifying goals and priorities that align with God's and that go much deeper than just our typical New Year's resolutions like losing weight, exercising more, etc. And honestly, while the workbook was intended to help me identify deeper God-focused goals for the year, I think it really set me up with solid goals and priorities to focus on for life. That's why I'm sharing my workbook end results with you today, along with bible verses where I found truth for each one!
My 2022 (and Beyond!) Life's Priorities & Goals as a Christian Mom
1) Pursue God's glory, not my own. Make Him a priority, and make His priorities mine.
- John 3:30-31, 12:25-26, 15:8
- 1 Corinthians 10:31
- Matthew 6:33
2) Rejoice in the success of others. Do not be jealous or envious. Be content.
- Exodus 20:17
- Proverbs 23:17-18
- Romans 12:15
- Galatians 5:26
- 1 Corinthians 13:4
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16
- 1 Timothy 6:6-12
3) Love others. Make people around me feel loved and feel God's love through me.
- John 13:34-35, 15:12
- Hebrews 10:24
- Ephesians 4:32
4) Fear God. Do not use His name in vain, and do not use my faith for personal gain.
- Exodus 20:7
- Proverbs 1:7, 8:13, 9:10, 14:27
- Matthew 10:28
5) Go and make disciples. Teach others to serve God and follow him. Spur others toward love and good deeds. (This relates to my children AND others!)
- Matthew 28:19-20
- Mark 16:15
- John 15:16
- Titus 2:3
- 2 Timothy 2:2
6) Use my spiritual gifts from God wisely. Do not let them be wasted. (Find out what your spiritual gifts are from this free online quiz.)
- Romans 12:6
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
- 1 Timothy 4:14
7) Take a Sabbath day to rest! Use this time to be present with my family, do good, and to renew our minds.
- Genesis 2:3
- Exodus 20:8-11
- Deuteronomy 5:12-14
- Matthew 12:12
- Romans 12:2, 14:5
8) Honor my father and my mother. (Honor does not mean submit to or obey necessarily, it may mean setting healthy boundaries and managing these relationships with love, wisely.)
- Exodus 20:12
- Deuteronomy 5:!6
- Proverbs 1:8, 19:26, 20:20, 23:22, 30:17, 31:28
- Matthew 15:4
- Luke 14:26
- Ephesians 6:1-3
- Colossians 3:20
9) Steward (or manage) our finances wisely. Spend less, give more. (Also, in my case specifically, God shared with me that I need to let go of my need/desire to contribute financially to our family and trust in my husband's ability to do so while I'm a stay-at-home-mom. As a SAHM, I'm contributing greatly, possibly even more greatly - dare I say, by raising our children in this stage.)
- Proverbs 21:20, 22:9
- Matthew 25:14-30
10) Lead a quiet life. (For me, this means trying to watch less TV, being on my phone and social media less, being more present with my husband and children, reading more, listening more, learning more, etc.)
- 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
- 1 Timothy 2:2
- 1 Peter 3:4
If I had to list my priorities more simply, it would be:
#1 = God & my relationship with him (which is also impacted by my spiritual health, my mental health, and my physical health)
#2 = People (in this order)
- My husband and our marriage
- Our children
- The rest of our family members (our parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces and nephews, etc.)
- Our friends
#3 = Things
- Family support & our finances (i.e. careers, investments, etc.)
- Hobbies & other
Again, after doing the "Go(al) Deep" workbook from Risen Motherhood (which I highly recommend) and digging into the Word, these are all the things that God revealed to me. I plan on keeping my handwritten version of this with me always so I can continue to remind myself of these things and reference back to it!
Feel free to go do the workbook yourself (sign up for the Risen Motherhood Vault of resources to access), as well, and see how God speaks to you through it.
"Whatever you do, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." - Colossians 3:17
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.